Bali - Nusa Lembongan


Everyone who has been in Bali probably heard of the Gili Islands. Well, I heard of them as well. But then again some people told me that I should go to Lembongan because it's
less touristy. That sounds amazing, I thought. So the third place I've visited in/ around Bali is this small island south east of Bali called Nusa Lembongan.

DAY ONE


~ on my way to Nusa Lembongan ~

I took a taxi from Canggu to Seminyak where a driver from the ferry company was waiting for me. Then we drove an hour to Sanur. From there I took the ferry to Nusa Lembongan
which takes only 30 minutes. The ferry was unexpectedly small. I think only around 16 people fitted in the ferry. What an experience. The ride to the island was not too rough and
actually quite fun. The only thing that was disturbing was that we stopped after half the distance and I didn't see it, but I heard that the staff was dumping rubbish into the ocean.
Such a heartbreaking thing to hear. I mean I already knew and saw that Bali and probably all the islands of Indonesia have a waste disposal problem, but that this was happening
so obvious was shocking.

~ arrived in paradise ~

However, when we arrived at Lembongan that thing was forgotten for a couple of hours. It looked literally like paradise. And that was also the reason why I wanted to go to
this island. Bright white sand and clear water. There are no cars on that island so a thing that looked a bit like a Turk Turk brought us to our accommodations. Through the
internet I found a super cheap private room. The first one after 10 months of travelling. It was maybe 3 minutes away from the beach. It was anything but fancy, but more
than enough. It was a room with a huge bed and a little bathroom. My best friend there was the fan. Haha, seriously, it was so hot.

~ all that glitters is not gold ~

I took my towel and I wanted to find a nice spot to chill and sunbathe somewhere at the beach. But when I saw the beach I was slightly disappointed. It was just a small
one along all Hotels. And the sea was full of boats. So to swim and sunbathe was not the best thing to do. Well, I just sat down in one of the restaurants and
I was trying to plan my next days.

For dinner, I was heading to a restaurant which had good reviews. I had to walk, maybe 20 minutes. I was walking on the main road and after some minutes I realized that
I haven't seen one single foreign face. There were only locals around. Later on I passed by on all their huts. They were very small and very fragile looking. Something
I haven't seen in real life yet. And then all of a sudden, I felt really uncomfortable. I have such a high standard of living and I'm just walking around in their place
with my pretty clothes and my tanned skin. It all felt so wrong and not fair. I felt like I didn't even deserve to be here. I don't know why. It was just such a weird feeling
because I have so much and they have so little and there is nothing I could do. I didn't take a photo of these huts because that would be just another "look that's
how the locals live like...there are five people sleeping in one tiny room"-photo. And for me it was shocking and not a nice photo scene.

When I arrived at the restaurant I realized that it's completely empty, the waitresses were young girls and the cook was gone so there were just 5 meals they could make.
That was weird. Anyway, I didn't want to be rude, so I ordered some veg curry with rice and I was watching the sunset. Just before it got dark I decided to return to my
accommodation. The sky was still drenched in shades of pink so I wanted to go back on the beach. Unfortunately, it wasn't as nice as expected. Once again I passed by
the locals and their poor living conditions. But that was not the only thing that made me feel super sad. The beach was full of rubbish and I had to take care that I don't
cut my feet because of all the plastic. I had the strong urge to pick up everything, but I knew that's not helping at all because where do I bring all the rubbish?! There are
barely bins so this wouldn't be an option. This whole situation made me so upset.

DAY TWO


The next day I felt a little bit better. I had my breakfast at Bali Eco Deli. As their name suggests, they are eco-responsible. Their ingredients come from Indonesian
fair-trade, organic farms and none of them contain palm-oil. They also collect waste for recycling. And most importantly, their food is aaamazing and super tasty! 

My plan for the day was to walk around the island or as far as I come. So I covered myself in sunscreen and packed my camera and water. The first bit was quite easy. I was just
walking on the beach. Later on, I had to walk on a path next to the ocean and I had to go more uphill. I came along a couple of nice bays. But most of them were quite small and the
water was full of seaweed. After maybe one hour I found a stunning bay with white sand and clear water and not even five people. I found paradise. The water was surprisingly cold.
Such a nice refreshment. After I recovered from my hike, so far I continued. It was so hot and sometimes I didn't even know if I'm still on the right track because I couldn't just walk
next to the ocean anymore. I was walking through some villages and hotel areas. After a while I felt more and more dehydrated, but I didn't want to finish my water. I had no idea where
I could buy some more so I saved it. Finally, I found a restaurant and I could relax a bit in the shade. The spot I definitely wanted to see is called "Devil's Tear" and it was just
around the corner. It's a stunning natural wonder where the water meets earth. I was there for at least 20 minutes, watched it and tried to capture it on my camera. 

After that I decided to go back. It took me a while, but I took a break at my little secret bay again. 
It was a really nice, adventurous, but also exhausting day. 

DAY THREE & FOUR 


I spent the next day in that bay again, but this time a asked a local to bring me there with a scooter because I didn't want to walk the whole way again. I had a lovely
day at the beach. On the next day I went back to Canggu. My Balinese home away from home. 

All in all, I can say that I don't regret going there. But it was definitely different than expected. 
Today I read something like "Never try to impress an Australian with a beach". Well, I'm not Australian but I have seen enough Australian beaches to say that Australia
has stunning beaches. Empty, white sand and crystal clear water and no rubbish at all. But on the other hand, it was good to experience and it's still a beautiful place to go. 












No comments :

Post a Comment